Here’s the cover and a 2 page preview for an online comic for the Toronto Star I’m doing with the journalist Marc Ellison. It’s about female genital mutilation and forced marriage to young girls in Tanzania. Some facts from the United Nation website on the subject:
- Globally, it is estimated that at least 200 million girls and women alive today have undergone some form of FGM.
- If current trends continue, 15 million additional girls between ages 15 and 19 be subjected to it by 2030.
- Girls 14 and younger represent 44 million of those who have been cut, with the highest prevalence of FGM among this age in Gambia at 56 per cent, Mauritania 54 per cent and Indonesia where around half of girls aged 11 and younger have undergone the practice.
- Countries with the highest prevalence among girls and women aged 15 to 49 are Somalia 98 per cent, Guinea 97 per cent and Djibouti 93 per cent.
- FGM is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15.
- FGM cause severe bleeding and health issues including cysts, infections, infertility as well as complications in childbirth increased risk of newborn deaths.
- FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
GRAPHIC NOVEL ( 165 pages, 2013 )
FUNDRAISING WEBCOMIC ( 26 pages, 2009 )
I did a fundraising webcomic I from October to December 2009 to raise funds for the Starthrower Foundation in Haiti to sponsor young Haitians adults for high school education. I posted 1 page a week and people donated money directly to the Charity through my fundraiser. $3,721 was the final amount raised and donated to Starthrower Foundation.
The stories where adapted from Starthrower’s blog. So here are the 6 short stories.